Spiritual Principles for Living with Depression and Suicide Ideation:
Who: The surrender value to something greater than one’s deepest despair.
• Return to sanity: a clarity of truth.
• Realization of one’s free-will to choose.
• Resist what is not of a higher way of being than depression and suicide.
a) Decision: I will live life differently = a “conversion” which means “to turn”.
b) Commitment: or Covenant = a vow to self and other. “I will not entertain negativity
or allow thoughts of suicide!”
Why surrender to Higher Power?: I can’t manage depression or suicide alone and all things of the earth are insufficient to its power.
• Awareness: of negative thoughts.
• Detach: I am. I am not the thought.
• Still the mind: I can quiet my mind through meditation, breath awareness, art, etc.
• Center: Conscious contact with God/H.P.
• Spiritual Reading: lifts the mind to a higher way of thinking, concepts & things above.
• “Shift“: awareness and action to choose a higher consciousness (God, gratitude, love).
• Journaling: without judgement or criticism, journaling discovers the subconscious, the deepest self and hidden grief to mourn.
• Social Support from Peers: Sojourners with depression help each other to utilize tools for recovery and spiritual encouragement. (1 – 1, 12-Step Program, group, faith community.)
• Purpose & Meaning: life is to discover one’s own unique reason for being.
Certified: Spiritual Director, Chaplain and Thanatologist
Provides: Spiritual Direction (individual & group), presentations, workshops, retreats & consultation.